The Loves of My Life

The Loves of My Life

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Part of the Chorus

A month or two ago my friend Kristi shared with me that her and the worship team at their church were planning a "Night of Worship". They were looking to do some new things and old things and it sounded really cool.


I love attending worship nights especially at different churches. It gives me a glimpse into the heart of other churches, but it also helps me to just be and not worry who is around me.

So I put it on my calendar and told my husband that we were going.

A week before the service, I got word that my one of my best friend's, Melinda, dad passed away and his service would be the very same weekend of the "Worship Night". You would think, "No Problem" I can do both. But the memorial service was in Arizona. That means....I had to make a choice.

It really was a simple choice, but it still made me sad. I had been looking forward to what Kristi and her team had been planning.....and I must admit, i was looking forward to seeing her lead worship. She has the beautiful gift of music and this amazing heart...so you put those together with Worship Leader and you know you are in for a treat.

But a special thing happened.

I drove to Arizona and was invited to a special evening of worship with Melinda's family.
All of her family (and there were a lot) and out of town friends arrived at their home on Friday night to be together, eat dinner and have some time of praise.

Around 7pm... about the same time that the "Night of Worship" was taking place in California, we begun our night of worship in Arizona. He sat together as Melinda led in worship and we sang loudly, joyfully, quietly and thankfully to our God for the life of her dad. It was simply beautiful.
We sang new songs and some favorite hymns....and while we were singing I couldn't help but think....that we were joining in with the voices of those in California praising and thanking our God for who He is.

And it was Powerful.

I was no longer in a room with 30+ people, but I was part of a choir......raising our voices to a God who has been, who is and who will always be faithful.

It didn't matter that we were singing different songs.....it was even more beautiful knowing that we were.

and I couldn't help but feel the tiniest of inkling that God was pleased...and He felt praised.

So although I didn't get to be in California at "the Night of Worship", I was still part of the chorus.....and it was amazing.

8 comments:

Diane Davis said...

bet you money this post makes kristi cry...

Kimmy (aka Kim) said...

Jen, that is awesome and touching. I can only imagine what it was like. It is awesome how the Lord works things out that way. :)

Kristi said...

OH MY GOSH I AM TOTALLY CRYING!!!!!

Diane was right.

I love the picture of the church as a whole... I love when the church worships...even when we're in different states.

I love when people CHOOSE to worship...especially Melinda who was suffering great loss, but choosing to say "Blessed Be Your Name"...

I love you for wanting to support me. It means more than you know.

I oddly enough just posted on my own blog pictures/stories of our evening.

They were undoubtedly different...but precious just the same.

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

KT- Um, I don't think i put it in my blog....but that's one of the songs we sang Friday night AND at his memorial service....
"Blessed Be His Name. "
:-)

Sarah B. said...

Ok..crying too. I am a friend of the girl you all call KT..Kristi to me. That is such a great story...and all I can think of to say is that God is Good!

Don said...

Kristi's "pops" here. Dang, I'm crying too.

It was a blessing to read your blog.

johnsonandjohnson said...

Kristi's sister....

Very moving story and it helped me imagine what Heaven will be like. Thanks for sharing your story and I am so sorry for your friend's loss. (and yours too)

Sarah said...

What a privilege to be a part of this Family.

I'm glad you were able to celebrate with Melinda's (earthly) family that night, Jen. I am confident it was a blessing not only to God, but to His children there in Arizona that night.

:)