The Loves of My Life

The Loves of My Life

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Putting Others' Interests Ahead of Our Own

That may not be the exact quote that McCain gave in his speech on Thursday but it is the essence of what he said. Just as Obama has, these candidates have recognized that the way we live as Americans, the "me first" philosophy,  isn't working and something needs to be changed.

Before McCain's speech I had been pretty frustrated with him for many different reasons, but after listening to him on my comfy couch I began to regain some of the respect that I had had for him 8 years ago. This doesn't mean I agree with some of his plan......but for me, I walked away thinking....he does care, he has integrity, and he does desire what he thinks is the right thing for the American people. 

That was big for me. I was extremely disappointed in all the speeches that turned mean spirited -even Obama's comment that McCain doesn't get it.  (that was the first time I heard him say something about the opponent I thought was inappropriate). I was frustrated with the end of Palin's speech (who even though I didn't want to...I do like) where jabs were thrown. I want the candidate to be better and rise above that and I think McCain did a really good job of doing that.
I also appreciated the fact that he wagged his finger at all parties...and tried to distance himself from the current administration. He reached past the party line and talked in terms of everyone needing to do their part together. He was like a parent  telling both parties they need a time out while still trying to unify them. This is my favorite line of the night-
"Let me offer an advance warning to the old, big-spending, do-nothing, me-first, country-second Washington crowd: Change is coming"

 A few weeks ago I said I didn't get it when people thought McCain could do a better job than Obama- and for now I re-tract that claim. I do get it. I do understand.
Do I agree?
:)
you all know the answer to that

But I have to say that it's refreshing to be able to go to a voter's booth and not think I am voting for the lesser of two evils. I think we have two fine candidates......and it will be interesting to see what happens and to know this will be nothing short of a fascinating election.

No comments: